Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Week 1 Report - Guatemala MTC

Joseph sent me an email at noon as soon as he was online. I heard they only have an hour, so Corey and I were both online and sending little emails back and forth with him about small stuff, talking about what to send in a package (we're going to give the "Mayan Express" a test run to see if it gets there safe and how long it takes) and about a few things he can't find and might have left here like his extra retainer. He said he wasn't going to bother with punctuation or correcting misspelled words, cause he only has an hour and it takes too long to find them on the keyboard (slightly different than here in the US) I thought that was funny (I corrected a few things in his email below and also added paragraphs) So we had about 10 emails back and forth with small detail stuff like that. Then near the end of the hour he sent this out to us and all his friends, and I was thrilled to see he sent pictures! Yay! I heard from another mom that they weren't allowed to send pics while they were in the MTC, so this was a real treat.

From Elder Wride:
Subject:    Es un gran día para ser Missionero!!

That means It's a great day to be a missionary if you don't speak Spanish.

Wow it feels like it's been a lot longer that a week! Like a lot lot longer. News flash, Missions are Hard!! Like actually haha I felt pretty ready but it is actually really overwhelming at times and I'm only 1 out of 6 weeks here in the CCM (MTC).

I'm in the Isaias district. Which is the best district. Actually though. I really really like my District Leader, Elder Amelang. He is 20 and went to BYU for 2 years before coming out here but he said that at 18 he was a very different person and would not have been able to do it. So I think he's kinda like Alma, and his last name kinda sounds like it too. Almalang. Our zone leader is also in my district, Elder Kirkby, but the latinos and teacher can't say that so they say Kirby.

My comp is Elder Mendez.
Me and Elder Mendez. I have another picture where he's smiling haha but that picture wont load without a google drive and I don't have time to do that

He was born in California, then lived in Utah, in Syracuse, but has been living in Grand Junction Colorado for the past 2.5 years. He's pretty funny and speaks good Spanish so I'm really glad we're comps because we can actually communicate since we're supposed to speak in Spanish all the time.

There is this weird fruit they have here and idk what its called but it tasted like a grape, but it also has a pit that tastes nasty if you accidentally break it open. (I googled to try to find what this little spiky fruit was called and emailed this info to Joseph - it's a rambutan, comes from a Malaysian word "rambant" which means "hair". The seed's oils and fats are used to produce soap and edible oil. Fun to know - grape on the outside, bittery soapy taste in the seed)
I thought my hair was already to missionary standards but unless you had a buzz they gave you a haircut so here is a before and after picture. Before:

After: 
That night I found out we can only take pictures on p day and a couple other times if we get permission.
But I got a picture of two of my meals before I learned that.
The first day here was the roughest but it definitely went uphill from there and after I got over the day 3 hump I was feeling the missionary vibe again, which I kinda lost after getting here because it was just so much stuff that they throw at you. Plus the fact that the first day wouldn't end. It was actually two days though, because the flight was only 4 hours from LAX to GUA and if you were lucky you got a couple hours but were still jet lagged and exhausted, and we had a full day of work ahead of us so Tuesday and Wednesday were one long hard day. But I'm feeling great now.
There were a TON of elders flying to the GUA CCM and they said its like the most they've ever had.
We've had some really good devotionals and THIS CHURCH IS SO TRUE GUYS!!!! I also forgot to get a list of emails before I left sent to my missionary email so my mom did it but she might've missed people so send this to other people who might want these but I don't have any more time now. Have a great week and seriously do all you can to prepare for you mission in PREACH MY GOSPEL. That and the Book of Mormon are the biggest things
_________

Two more of the pictures he sent~ Joseph's desk at home before he left:
Packing up at home:
And Joseph had 4 more pictures in the email but they didn't come through, I'll tell him to try and upload them again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment