Wednesday, January 9, 2019

6 Months - 19th Birthday

Happy Birthday Joseph! Here's his great letter for this week:
____________________________________
     Subject: Cumplí años                                
Alright so this week has been super crazy!!

First off last Wednesday we went to the temple with Brenda (Ronal's sister) and she had the tour there and said she felt great and it was todo bonito but she didn't get an answer. So she still doesn't have a fecha (date) for her baptism but we're getting there. We are giving her and Ronal chapters from the Book of Mormon to read each night and I think it will help a lot! Also like every time we've stopped by to visit her or set up an appointment she hasn't been there or had to leave last minute or whatever but we're hoping she can progress. Here is a picture at the temple!
You might be wondering where my companion is. Well my companion that morning was Ronal. I made sure it was okay to have him as my comp but I did feel a little weird. And that feeling has been with me all week! The members have been helping a lot though and almost every day I have been able to work for at least a little bit in the area. I've been doing divisions like no other. It is honestly so stressful. So for all of you out there on missions or who are going to go I hope that you never have to be in an area without a companion. Really I'm in a trio and so we just meet up with members and I go with the member and Elder Erikson and Elder Gates go back to their area. But the thing is a few years ago both my area and thiers had two companionships. Meaning 8 missionaries! For the two areas and their area is gigantic. Now for our areas combined we have 3 missionaires! So it's really been a learning experience that's for sure.
Here is a picture of the trio.
Elder Gates'head got cut off though. Sorry Elder Gates.

Funny story. On Sunday a super awesome RM in our ward named Diego (he served in the Dominican Republic and got back  about 3 years ago) picked me up to go pick up people to come to church. Fun fact Diegos family visited Utah a little while ago and actually went and met up with my family on temple square! So that was cool. Anyways so we went to stop by some people and when we went to Emmanuel's house this other guy I've never seen before had just gotten off his motorcycle and was opening the door. I tried to get his attention to ask him if Emmanuel was home and as he turned around and saw us he put his hands in the air! He thought we were going to rob him! Hahah it was super funny. Although he might have just been messing with us because he did some other weird stuff too.

In church this week we had a family of 4! We found them two weeks ago and taught the kids again last night and the oldest is a 17 year old girl named Tatiana and we left a Book of Mormon with her and I really think she's gonna read! They loved their experience in church and said they would come back this next week! So we're super excited about them. Also it was weird because we were done with church by 10:00! We start at 8:00 now because we're sharing a building and the other ward starts at 11:00. To give us enough time to vacate the parking lot because otherwise there isn't enough space.

We also had interviews with President Shumway this week and it's looking like I am going to be in  Lo de Coy for this next change to reopen it. So I'll be here until march 5th probably. Which is crazy because this is still my first area!

Also here are some pictures of the Nueva Vida house.
Our 3 desks
The kitchen (which we didn't use that much because they have dinner almost every night with members) 
Where we sleep
Somehow we managed to get 3 beds in there

You can't see it that well but here are our three closets
And their house has a super nice view of the city which this picture does not do justice.
Their house isn't the cleanest but it's a lot better than it used to be. Also I never really unpacked. But I am glad I never unpacked because I got an early birthday present yesterday! I GOT A COMPANION!! So actually I'm officially back in Lo de Coy now. We got a call yesterday from President telling us that the trio is going to be broken up and we are going to reopen Lo de Coy full-time. An Elder Flinders, who used to be outside the captial working in tiny little villages, was going to have to be in the city to be closer to the doctor because he was WAY out there in his last area. So yeah I got a companion for my birthday this year!!
And when he showed up he had a surprise birthday package with him! So I also got a surprise b-day package from the fam!
The mission also sent a little birthday goodie bag and had some peanut butter m&ms in it. I don't know where the got those but they are my favorite. 
So yeah we are celebrating here and have a banner and balloons and everything (which came in the package). And a bunch of other candy and snacks were in the package and some socks and a tie and letters from the fam along with a bunch of other stuff. So yeah it has been an awesome birthday so far! And now we're getting settled in Lo de Coy again. But I might be back in the trio soon. Elder Flinders is here to be closer to the hospital because he has been having these spasms (it is super duper hot where he was before) and so we're hoping it gets better but he might be going home soon if it doesn't. He is also actually from Elder Adams'group which means he is about to finish his training. So we're hoping and praying he gets better. He is my fourth companion this change though, including the trio I was in. Elder Flinders is a super awesome guy and studied at BYU for a year before his mission. He grew up for a lot of his life in Logan but lived in Tulsa Oklahoma before he went to BYU.

Here are some other pictures from my birthday! 
Elder Erikson bought a cake and they sang to me and smashed my face into it hahaha it was funny
In the package there was also some cosmic brownies and other little debbie pastry things, some frosting, and little sugar letters that spell happy birthday so we put it together and made another little cake haha it turned out pretty good.
And here is Elder Flinders and I with matching ties. And I also have a ribbon that says birthday boy hahah
It feels good be back in Lo de Coy full time but most of all I am grateful to be part of the most important work on the earth today!!
__________________________________________

So, yay! That just worked out perfectly! I sent the package on Dec 29th, after seeing a notice on the Guatemala Mom's facebook page earlier that week from a lady who does a delivery service from Miami, that she was going to be in Salt Lake, and the packages she picked up would be delivered on the 8th, so it just worked out perfectly and I'm glad it was a surprise for him too! I won't tell you how much it cost to send, but the historian in me will report for record keeping sake it was over 16 pounds and $12.50 a pound (I thought it would be $8.50, oh well) plus a service fee. So, we probably won't be sending him big stuff until next birthday or his hump day,  we get to send him stuff, but they do deliver every 2 weeks, so that's pretty sweet. I do think it could be good to send small packages with letters to him through there, so maybe we'll do that. He's such a good kid, and we're so happy he has a companion again! :) He also said in his email to the family that his Mission President is fine if Ethan comes down to stay with the Gomez family over the summer, so we'll start working on that. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment